1 a joke that seems extremely funny [syn: belly laugh, sidesplitter, thigh-slapper, scream, wow, riot]
2 monkey of tropical South American forests having a loud howling cry [syn: howler monkey]
3 a glaring blunder
- Rhymes: -aʊlə(r)
- A painfully obvious mistake
Howler may refer to:
- Howler, a roller coaster at Holiday World in Santa Claus, Indiana.
- Howlers, a fictional alien species from the Animorphs setting
- Howler, a type of magic object from the Harry Potter series
- Howler, the mascot of the Phoenix Coyotes
- Howlers, fictional creatures from the Playstation 3 game Resistance: Fall of Man
- Howler was the original name of Velociraptor Screech from The Land Before Time (TV series).
- Howler, an outrageously poor play in sport as in football (soccer).
- Hewlêr, the Kurdish name for the city of Arbil, Iraq
- The New World monkeys of the genus Alouatta are commonly called Howlers
- Especially in British English, a howler is a mistake so egregious that the person catching it howls with laughter. It is used to refer to a mistake in an examination, in literature, in film or television (also known as a blooper), or in sport (see, footballing mistake).
- In telephony, the howler tone is a tone alerting subscribers to the receiver having been left off the hook.
Irish bull, belly laugh, bloomer, blooper, blue story, blunder, bobble, bonehead play, boner, boo-boo, boob stunt, boot, clanger, clinker, dirty joke, dirty story, double entendre, dumb trick, error, ethnic joke, fool mistake, foozle, foul-up, fun, funny story, gaffe, gag, good one, good story, goof, jape, jest, jestbook, joke, laugh, louse-up, malapropism, mistake, muck-up, panic, play, point, pratfall, rib tickler, riot, scream, screamer, screw-up, sick joke, sidesplitter, sight gag, sport, story, visual joke, wheeze, wow, yarn